How to Lead in the Flow
I just came off the launch of my own book, and felt moved to share how inspiring and transformative the process of writing has been for me. If you write, create art through poetry, song, painting, sculpture, dance … you know that when you are in the creative process, you inhabit a place that is time outside of time, all the while your art unfolds before your eyes.
Below, I share a bit about what the process was like for me and what I learned. I hope that my journey will inspire you to take your own.
I set out to write a book. Actually, that’s not true. What started as a pamphlet morphed into a 442-page book. I learned that there’s your plan, and then there is another plan for you.
I was a woman possessed. Every time I took a hike, my mind relaxed as my senses inhaled the beauty around me. Insights exploded like popcorn kernels. Nature was my muse; my inspiration. I couldn’t wait to put my fingers back on the keyboard. Looking back, I can see how much it took on a life of its own.
What did I learn? A lot. Writing a book is a metaphor for creating one’s life. Like a book, humans are in a process of becoming with our own pace and timing.
I learned that sometimes it’s about getting out of the way. You don’t yank on a plant to make it grow. You offer the best possible conditions for that to happen and stand back.
I learned that living well is a balancing act—don’t push and don’t hold back. Let go. Allow.
Do you play golf or tennis? If you’ve swung a club or racket, hit that sweet spot and the ball flew effortlessly towards its target, or if you’ve been on a team or lead a team and everyone jelled, you rallied together toward a common goal and the process was exhilarating, pleasurable even though it may have been tough . . . then you know what I mean. Effortless.
In the creative process—just as in living life—we allow things to unfold. If you are stuck or struggle, you aren’t in the flow.
How can you move with the flow rather than fight or resist it? How can you bring out your best and invite others to flourish?
- Be agile and shift when the situation changes or new information comes to light so that something better can unfold.
- Give yourself time to relax and reflect. Remove distractions.
- Notice when you try to will things to happen on your schedule or in the way you think they should happen. Let go.
- Be curious and suspend judgment. Your curiosity will lead you to unimagined places.
- Connect with, listen to and trust your intuitive voice. Act on it.
- Remember that important strangers will show up to help you along the way. Accept the help and listen to the wisdom of others.
- Unanticipated opportunities will present themselves. Walk through those doors even though they don’t necessarily lead you where you thought you were going.
- Trust the process, trust yourself, follow the call—follow your dream and allow.
The more awake you are to the world around you and inside of you, the less reactive, more at choice, and agile you’ll become. You’ll begin to move with the flow and lead your life from the InsideOut.
My book “InsideOut Enneagram” launched on March 29th, 2012. I feel so blessed to be part of this unfolding process.
And you? What have you learned on your own creative journey?